Thursday, December 8, 2016

Oh Baby!

Hi!
Oh my. I'm a terrible blogger and I apologize. I've been a bit busy, you know…having a baby and all!

We've welcomed JM! He was born April 17, weighing 7 lbs 7 oz. A perfectly healthy and happy, beautiful gift from above. To say Matt and I are over the moon is just a bit of an understatement. He is the best thing that has ever happened to us and we are so in love!

He's just about 8 months old now. He's kind of saying "Mama," he's trying really hard to crawl, and he's got two teeth coming in on the bottom! He is just the bees knees. :)

I could go on forever about what it's been like to be a mom, but honestly I feel like this first post back into this blog after such a long absence should be short and sweet for you guys. Just to get you up to date on the most important stuff, so I don't overwhelm you with a 4329473 page long post about mom-hood.

As far as the end of my pregnancy, and my delivery goes, I really had a pretty great experience. I think a lot of women hip-y's who hope to start family's worry a lot about how our hips will impact our pregnancies and deliveries.

I have to tell you that having RPAO made ALL the difference in my pregnancy. I had very little pain, if any, on my right side. I gained about 50 pounds and honestly, I hardly had much pain at all. I mostly just felt heavy and achy. But I'm sure all women feel that way at the end of a pregnancy. The majority of the pain and discomfort that I felt was in my left side sciatic, and some general left side hip pain. To remind you all, I still have impingement on that side, so there's some lingering pain there. Nothing that I feel needs to be addressed, though. The only thing I really felt on my right side was occasional weakness.

As far as delivery goes, my hip surgeon, OB/GYN, husband and I all had conversations about how to approach delivering this baby. Matt's main concern (and rightfully so) was me re-injuring my hip during delivery and not being healthy to enjoy my new baby. We also worried about me being injured and poor Matt having to take care of me and help with the new baby. I worried about these thing, a lot. I reached out to other women who delivered vaginally and heard good success stories, however I also heard women talking about not being able to get the baby through the birth canal. Some even told me they re-tore their labrum while pushing. It took a lot of time to think and deliberate, but everyone pretty much came to the conclusion that a scheduled caesarian was the way to go.

I'm going to get real for a second, because I know you other hip-y's can understand. Do you know what I feared most? I feared being injured during delivery and falling back into that depressing feeling of helplessness that we can sometimes get in to. Only people with chronic pain can really understand what I'm talking about when I say this. But I honestly worried so much that I would tear a labrum, or something even worse, and I would have this new baby that I wouldn't be able to bring myself to enjoy because I would be consumed by the thoughts of another surgery and recovery. Or worse, the thought that maybe I did something that wasn't able to be fixed. Those feelings of pain and constant exhaustion and helplessness? I couldn't bear the thought of having those emotions with my first new baby in my arms.

So we chose caesarian. And you know what? I am SO GLAD that I did. In comparison to my PAO, it was EASY-PEASY. There was some pain, but the surgery and recovery was seriously so easy and smooth.

I just want to say for a sec: I am not insinuating that a c-section is not serious business. I don't want to offend anyone who's had a c-section and felt it extremely difficult. It's major abdominal surgery and it is not anything to mess with. I am just telling you that for me, since it was my fourth surgery in four years, it was a pretty easy recovery.

I have so many other things I want to say, and I promise to say them all at some point. But for now I just want to get back on the horse with this blog and say "Hello!" and "I'm back!"

I can't wait to get back into a groove with this! I really missed it.

We'll talk soon,
D


No comments:

Post a Comment