Monday, April 8, 2013

Sleep walking...



Every day, I hold onto the hope that one day I will sleep normally again. I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since early October! A good night’s sleep is one thing you just don’t think about (and take for granted, in my case) before surgery. I have a handy gadget that estimates the amount of sleep I’m getting at night. It’s called a Fitbit. And the Fitbit has been telling me that I’m averaging 2.5 hours of sleep a night. I’m waking up anywhere from 10-35 times a night. Seriously?
After the first surgery, I “slept” pretty well in the hospital (when they let me sleep)…more than likely because I was on all sorts of happy juice/pills. When I got home I entered into this whole love/hate relationship with our bed. I can really only sleep in one of two positions: my back with my legs raised, or my left side with my PAO-ed leg resting on a body pillow. Once I am in one these positions…it takes about 15 minutes to switch to the other. If I sleep on my back for too long my upper back ends up KILLING me. I have to use all of my energy and switch to my side. A couple hours later my leg is so stiff and sore that I have to switch back to my back…which still hurts from lying on it earlier in the night. Preposterous. For the first 10-12 weeks after PAO, I spent the majority of the night lying there waiting until I could get out of bed and go back downstairs to my sweet, sweet, recliner. While I was recovering from the PAO, the recliner, for the most part, was the only place I could find any consistent comfort. What didn’t help things, I’m sure, is that hubby was petrified of rolling on me in his sleep (he’s impossible to share a bed with sometimes…and I’m sure he says the same about me). He very cleverly built a pillow fort for me to sleep in every night. The pillow fort was great for worries and there were fleeting moments of comfy-ness, but it was mostly just awkward for us to actually sleep in. Plus it made me HOT…all my body heat was trapped against me.

Me in my pillow fort.

Anyway, I know what you’re all saying…why don’t you just take a pain pill before bed? Right…and I tried to do that a few times…and sometimes it helped for a little while and other times it just made me nauseous or loopy. So I stopped taking them before bed altogether a couple weeks post-PAO. I know most people live with the “give it some time to get into your system, let your body get used to it” mantra, blah blah blah but I was really tired and cranky and wanted instant gratification without a side of dry-heaving.
Well, things got better by mid-late February. I started to be able to sleep on my right side as well, and that eased a lot of the pain in my back. I couldn’t stay on that side for long, but even small periods of time were heavenly. Not to mention I wasn’t sitting in the same position in the recliner all day, so that helped too. Now, since my second surgery, I’m right back where I started. I’m still trying to figure out the best way to handle it, as the all too familiar back pain is rearing its ugly head again. My leg is stiff and uncomfortable most of the night, although that seems to be getting better the past few nights.
Anyway, the moral of the story is, sleep is just not the same for me. Some nights are worse than others, and I’m sure it’s only going to go up from here. I long for the day I can sleep on my right side again. I tried it on Saturday (naughty me!), and it was only pleasant for about 2 minutes. At which time I immediately regretted the decision. My poor little hip is just not ready for that yet. I feel like my hip is just infinitely angry with me since the second surgery. We had been patching our relationship back together, slowly but surely after the PAO. I feel like after putting it through another surgery it may have just decided that I’m not a good friend…it may very well be revolting. It’s aching a lot, and my nerves are exceptionally angry; far angrier than they were before. They are painful to the touch, like a bad rug burn on deep inside of my thigh. I still get that awesome random stabbing pain deep in my thigh, followed by deep itching that I can’t relieve. The nerve damage is the most aggravating part for me. I can deal with the hip aching (what’s a while longer of that? I’ve had that for like 10-12 years!). I’ve also noticed that sometimes when I have to move my PAOed leg a certain way, I get some clicking. It’s not a loud click, or painful…but it’s definitely there. I hate to complain because all-in-all my recovery has been pretty easy breezy. In the grand scheme of things, I’m doing really well. It’s just very little annoyances. I’m coping with the crutches and being active, my triceps are going to be huge by the time May rolls around.
One last annoying rant: Hubby and I went to a fun convention this weekend for some us time. Let me tell you, for a large convention with TONS of people and vendors there were NO PLACES for handicapped people to rest. I was on my crutches all day long, and I had a really hard time finding places to rest. It’s one of those things that you would never normally think about until you need it. There was only one place in the whole building that had chairs for people to use and rest. End rant. 

That's all: Happy Monday!
Talk soon,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment