Monday, March 25, 2013

A labral tear here, and a labral tear there.



Hello again! I just wanted to catch you up on a few things. On February 28, I had a follow-up appointment with Dr. S. regarding my PAO surgery. This was my 18 week appointment! Woohoo! I had been up and walking for weeks (I wasn’t winning any races…but I felt okay). Physical therapy was going so well, and I was kicking butt. The appointment with Dr. S. went very well; he was pleased with my progress. At this appointment we decided to go ahead and schedule the second procedure (arthroscopic hip scope). The most important thing I took away from that appointment was that I had literally no idea what to expect from the second procedure. Unfortunately, when it comes to cartilage and the labrum, he couldn’t know what he was going to find until he got in there. This means that he may only have to fix a couple small things on the labrum…or maybe just clean up some scar tissue. Or, worst case scenario, there’s a lot of cartilage damage and he needs to do what’s called micro-fracturing. This is where he picks at the femoral head with a little ice pick-like tool and makes it bleed. This blood then heals and turns into a type of cartilage called fibro0cartilage. Really what mattered to me in all of this information is healing time. I wanted him to do whatever he needed to do to get me into tip-top shape. So it came down to this: if he only had to fix labral tears? That’s about 2-3 weeks on crutches. If he has to micro-fracture quite a bit? That’s 12 weeks on crutches. That made me crazy…the not knowing. There’s a big difference between 3 weeks and 12 weeks on crutches. Anyway, I digress.
 Dr. S said I’d have to call Hilda (his assistant…who has probably made it onto our Christmas card list by now) the next week and make the final call on what day to do it. We were all on the same page that the last week of March, first week of April time frame was best. My family and I have a lot of exciting things going on this year…and I wanted to be sure I’d be up and running before them so I don’t seem like such a party pooper. When I called Hilda the next Monday, she told me that Dr. S didn’t have an opening until April 26th. I almost fainted. That’s a whole month after what I thought it was going to be. Hilda and I talked about what I had going on this year, and why the timing was so important. She said that she was going to try and figure some things out and call me back. She called me back a couple days later and told me she had finagled some operating room time for March 18th. This was less than two weeks from when we were talking…but I immediately said it was fine and booked it.
So the surgery day came, and everything felt like a scene from the movie “Groundhog Day.” We recognized a lot of people at the hospital, and they recognized us. I had the same exact surgical team as the first surgery, and it was nice to see some of those faces again. The thing that was different this time was the atmosphere. Everything was far more relaxed, including myself. After getting everything all set and I was  wheeled into the operating room, I got to look around for a few minutes and really take it all in. Last time they gave me loopy juice BEFORE going to the OR…so by the time I got into the operating room I was high as a kite. This time I got to see everything. What a fascinating thing…it’s really crazy to me. They wheeled me right next to what looked like some kind of torture device. It was the device the surgeon uses to create space between your hip joint ( I won’t describe it here….let’s hope you never have to see it!). I saw all the giant tool chests with my doctors’ name on them, and all the crazy lighting. It was pretty neat. Then I had to sniff the funny gas and about 30 seconds later I was in la-la land.
After the surgery, I woke up feeling pretty nauseous again. However my wonderful anesthesiologist Lexi made sure to give me a great cocktail of drugs so I didn’t feel a thing. Except tired. I got out of surgery around 11, and I slept until 2. I was WIPED. After that I started to come out of it and I recognized Sarah who was my recovery nurse from the first surgery. I loved her last time. She was so amazing. The nurse I had this time, Dina, she was great, too. But it was so nice to see Sarah and have the opportunity to tell her how much I appreciated her help the last time. After a while they got me up and moving, Matt came to see me and before I knew it I was in the car heading home. I slept most of the day.
So, the outcome of the surgery was pretty good. Dr. S. did a fantastic job with everything (obviously…he’s amazing). I had a couple really big tears in my labrum…they were so big that he ended up just having to cut part of it right off. That wasn’t a huge deal; he assumed I would have some pretty significant tears. There was some softness and wearing in my cartilage…and some areas where there was very little bit of cartilage left. So in these spots he did some micro-fracturing. Not a whole lot, though. The issue was that a part of my femoral head was slightly pointed…causing extra wearing on the cartilage against it. To fix this problem, Dr. S. had to shave down and smooth out that part and create bleeding to fill in the area with the fibro-cartilage. The last and most important thing we took out of this procedure was the discovery that there is only a small amount of arthritis in the joint. That is huge news. Because there’s so little arthritis, Dr. S thinks I may be able to put off hip replacement surgery until my late 60’s or even 70’s (if I treat my new hip well). In contrast…my hip was so crappy before all this that Dr. S. said he’s sure I would have needed total hip replacement in my 50’s (if I could make it that long).
So…all in all, it was a great outcome. However, because of the work he had to do with the femoral head, he wants me on the crutches for about 7 weeks. This is a bummer because I’m super sick of the crutches…especially as I was just on them for so long prior. However, I can’t tell you how happy I am to be DONE with surgeries. This has been such an interesting few months…I’m so tired from all the rehab. But, I feel so good to be moving forward with this chapter of my life. I’ve put if off for about 10 years now…it’s nice to not have it hanging over my head anymore.
I start physical therapy back up tonight, and I will have to keep going until probably mid-July. It is the best feeling knowing it’s only going to go up from here!
Ready, set, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment