Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Brand New Beginning.



WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I had my appointment with Dr S. this morning and he told me I can start slowly weight bearing on the right leg again! This was the best news of my life, for sure. I can’t tell you how excited I am. Tom (my PT) and I discussed that because I’ve been through this song and dance before (of getting off the crutches gradually), I can start weaning myself off them and I don’t need to wait to see him at my appointment on Monday to do so. Knowing that news, I immediate knew I wanted to walk out of the Dr’s office. I have to say, taking those first few steps (still on the crutches, of course…but weight bearing) felt really amazing. Emotionally, it was such a great moment. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Six months of hard work, surgeries, recoveries, etc were all leading up to this new beginning of starting to walk again. Walking on this hip is so strange because it’s the first time I’ve EVER been on a “good” hip. It’s a good hip! It’s completely, 100% fixed! It is such a foreign feeling to me…thinking that I no longer have that kind of disability. I’m a really looking forward to starting back up with the real PT, and getting back on my feet for good. It will probably take another week or two to get fully off the crutches…and even then I may need the cane for a while. But, that’s okay! I’m no longer restricted and that is just an amazing feeling. 

I am so proud of myself, for going through with it, and for working so hard and being so patient when I really thought I might go absolutely nutty. I am forever thankful to and grateful for my unbelievable husband. Without his absolutely unwavering support over the past 6.5 months, I am positive I wouldn’t have been able to do as well as I have been, if at all. He has been so amazing. I really don’t give him enough credit. I am also thankful for all of the support of my family, and my friends…who have constantly reassured me that I’m doing great and everything was worth it. I’m thankful for every single “It’s just a little while longer” from every person who gave them to me. Most importantly, I’m forever grateful to Dr. S for giving me my life back. He gave me the opportunity to live pain free, and to be happy, and productive, and active, and (this is most important) UNRESTRICTED. I no longer have to worry about doing 4 different errands in the same day because my hip will hurt so much I won’t be able to make it past the first one. I will never have to mentally prepare myself for a shopping trip to Target…thinking that halfway through the store I’ll need to lean all my weight on the cart just to get around. I won’t need to tell myself I should just have groceries delivered, because my hip has been hurting too much to go to the market. I’ll be able to exercise without pain, sleep without pain, sit without pain, play…all without pain! 

Of course, I still have a very long road ahead of me. I will have at least another 3 months of physical therapy. My hip flexor is a mess and needs a ton of work. My muscles have atrophied significantly, and it’ll be a while to get them back. But, these are all such great things to look forward to working towards. All are goals I know I can achieve. What a fantastic day I’m having. I feel so excited, and amazed, and encouraged. A good day, today is a very good day.

Thanks for all the support,
We’ll talk soon,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment