Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Detour Ahead

Well, I know it's been a while and that no news usually means good news. And you know what? It has been good news! It's been almost two months since I last wrote, and in that time I have been really great.
Since we spoke last a few integral things have happened. 1) I have been going continuously to PT, and 2) I have been instructed by my surgeon to not do any heavy lifting at my job. Both of these things have helped tremendously. I have been feeling really great.

But, with almost every good, there comes some bad...so here's mine:
It seems as though I cannot lift really anything. (I preface this with I've been really awesome, so I hate to complain at all...this is more of an informational post than anything.) I say that I can't really lift anything because on Sunday I picked up and carried a laundry basket full of clothing about...I don't know...10 feet? The laundry basket weighed about 30 pounds (Yes...I weighed it). After lifting it, my psoas felt a little tight, but it wasn't terrible. A few minutes later though, my muscles were throbbing. It was the all too familiar pain that I get right before I spasm. I tried to just keep it extended and relax...but it was really difficult. For the rest of the night, and even most of yesterday, I had a really hard time walking. Every time I get up, the psoas is very stiff and painful. It seems better today, after just resting it a lot. I'll keep you posted on all of this.

I told you that Dr. S instructed me to not do any lifting. Well, because of this, I have to go through my HR department at work and have a written note and have "restrictions/accommodations" on file. This is because there are times during my workday where I may be asked to lift heavy items. Right now my note from Dr. S is very vauge, and HR would like it to be more specific so that we can all better understand my needs. And I agree. I think that, overall, this laundry basket situation will actually help me, because now I understand that lifting just 30 pounds is going to put me in a bad spot. So I am going to talk with Dr. S and his office this week and better define my restrictions.

So, as annoying as it was to have this episode, I think it will actually help us to define my needs right now. And I think it helped me really understand just how fragile this situation is. I probably knew I shouldn't lift that laundry basket (alright...I knew I shouldn't), but I've been feeling so great I figured it would be fine. I obviously learned that lesson pretty quickly and I won't be making that mistake again.

Well, this is frustrating. The longer this whole thing drags out the longer it feels like it's never going to get better. Will this always be this way? Who knows...
Anyone out there have any psoas insight?

That's all I've really got for you right now. I haven't been to PT in two weeks because I've been wayyyy busy at work. The next time I go, I'll update you all on the exercises I'm doing to help out this psoas.

Hope all you hip-y's are doing well.
D

 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Danielle!!
    So good to hear from you! I've been hoping that no news is good news, and while I'm glad over all you seem to be doing much better, it must be so frustrating to have the lifting restrictions. Hmm...I think this surgery/recovery was a little more than we bargained for! But, it's only going to help us out in the long run. We must keep positive thinking! :) (I'm giving myself a little pep talk as I write this to you! Haha.)
    I've been getting a bit frustrated in my own recovery. Seems like the littlest things set me off and then I'm in pain for days. It's so hard to set boundaries between doing as much as I can without any residual effects, and overdoing it! 
    Anyway, I hope you are enjoying your summer! Hope you get to take a nice vacation :) you deserve it!
    Talk to you soon,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brenda!
      Always glad to hear from you!
      It is really frustrating to have these issues. The doctor and the physical therapist just keep reminding me that a muscle strain like this just takes a really long time to heal. The good news is that it's normal to have these issues, and I'm feeling really great lately.
      And you're right! This surgery and recovery is really a lot more challenging than I think most people think. It's one of those deals that you can't realize how debilitating the surgery really is until you're just out of surgery!
      I'll never forget the feeling I had the few days after surgery, it was really an eye opener.
      I will agree with you, that figuring out the boundaries, and how/what you should set is extremely difficult...it's been my biggest challenge yet for sure. We just have to keep trucking forward, and keep having a positive outlook! We've been relatively lucky, and I hope we both continue to be that way!
      And BTW, I AM taking a vacation! Next week I'll be hitting the beach for a few days of relaxing in the sun...can't wait!
      Hope this finds you so well, and I hope to hear from you soon!
      D

      Delete
  2. Hi! I am about to have PAO surgery and was reading through the blogs! I noticed your blog about tight muscles and thought I would share my most recent blog about dry needle therapy. I hope it helps you with what you are currently going through.

    https://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=5117361019265424265&postID=2417855020356074073

    ReplyDelete