Friday, September 27, 2013

Deja Vu



Happy 11 months to my PAO-ed Hip!
Yesterday was actually the day, but I just didn’t have a second to myself so I didn’t get to blog. I was out in the field doing wetlands work. I was on my feet in those awful steel-toed boots for 11 hours. I was exhausted, and stiff, and very sore by the time I got in the car to drive home. I was so stiff all night that I had a hard time moving around. The stiffness was everywhere, not just the hip joint. I felt OLD. Really old.

I was absolutely bushed last night so we went to bed a little earlier than usual. I don’t think I moved a muscle all night because I woke up in the same position I fell asleep in. As soon as I woke up, I felt some pain in my hip. I got out of bed and limped for the first time in months. I was really sad. It was an extremely discouraging moment. I got ready and it felt okay. However, after sitting in the car for a bit during my morning commute it was really sore. I had to limp into work from the parking lot. Going down stairs is the toughest. I know “sore” isn’t the best way to describe it…but I’m not sure how else to. It feels very similar to the labrum pain. It’s sore deep inside the joint, not in the groin. It’s like a creaking pain, almost. I don’t know. See what I mean? It’s hard to explain. 

Part of me is hoping it’s because it’s a gloomy, damp day here in RI. The joint is a little bit arthritic and I've had so much "stuff" done to it that I don't blame it for being sore on crappy days. I haven’t felt this much pain in the hip in a long time, though. It feels a bit like the labrum pain, but again, it could easily be a function of being overworked from yesterday and the dampness today. 

I hate to be selfish about it because I know so many of my hip ladies are having loads of trouble with their recoveries. I don’t mean to sound dramatic over a little bit of pain. The main reason for my worries, and for my posting, is that I’m hoping I didn’t do anything to it yesterday while roaming through the woods. It was a tough day in the field. We did a lot of climbing and crouching. I had to lift my leg to climb over waist-high trees more than I care to admit. And it wasn’t rare for me to have to kick down shrubs and saplings. There was even a point where I have to get on the ground and climb under a giant fallen tree. Like I said…it was a tough day. Probably one of the hardest days I’ve had since I’ve been back in the field. 

I don’t know…I could very well be overreacting. I could wake up tomorrow and not have any problems at all. We’ll have to see how it plays out.
Anywho, I go see Dr. S on the 31st and I just can’t wait to tell him ALL about my successes. I’m so excited to go over everything with him.
I’m sure I’ll post before that appointment, so we’ll chat then.
Thanks for reading,
D

1 comment:

  1. P.s. I apparently have a flare for the dramatic (who knew ;o) ) as I woke up the next day feeling perfectly fine! I do think it's probably all because of the gloomy weather those couple days. My little hipy hurts on days when it's raw, damp and cloudy...I guess that's to be expected when your hip is all screwed up. (See what I did there?) Dr. S did mention that I have some arthritis in the joint, so that could be a cause of the aching as well.
    The main point is, I've been back to feeling pretty good the last few days. :o)

    ReplyDelete