Thursday, April 24, 2014

Climbing Mountains

**Note, I actually wrote this on Sunday, but had to run out the door before I could polish it up for your folks. I have more to update you on, now that it's Thursday. But I have to wait until tonight to post (I know, you can barely contain yourselves).

Just a quick update.

Friday morning I was scheduled for PT at 7 am at the hospital, so I got up nice and early to take my Valium and have my cup of coffee. As I reached up into the cupboard for my coffee cup, my hip went into another spasm. I caught it super quickly, and immediately put pressure and did gentle stretching and generally got it under control so I could function. But it continued to lightly spasms most of the morning, even at PT. Val (my new PT), did a lot of direct massage and stretching to get it to calm down a bit and as I left there that morning, it felt weak, but it felt a little better.

These are the stretches I do with Val, along with a couple others.



Most of those are self explanatory, but just want to add that the left side, middle stretch is done without the physio ball. This is just like the position you get in when you're going to do those "mountain-climber" exercises, except you really work on pushing your pelvis down and your shoulders up. I find it ironic that I have to do these mountain climbers since I feel as though this whole recovery has been one giant mountain I'm trying my hardest to summit.

Anyone, something of probably little need to note, the butterfly stretch there hurts my left hip with it's FAI. To be expected, but figured I'd document.

Val also added in some light exercises. I do those blasted side leg lifts again, as well as standing, backward leg lifts. Additionally, she's got me doing some isometric muscle exercises that target the psoas/hip flexor without over-doing it. She has me lie on my back and bring my foot up so my leg is bent. From there she pushes on my knee, while having me push my knee towards my chest. This contracts and works those muscle groups without putting a ton of load on them. These hurt like a son-of-a-gun...but I will do whatever it takes to get this thing better.

I see Val again next Wednesday and in the meantime I am supposed to keep doing the stretches and the exercises three times a day every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment