Friday, April 11, 2014

I'm Such a Spaz(m).



Hello friends,
Quick update on what’s what.
I spoke with my surgeon yesterday because Wednesday was obviously really crappy and I KEEP having these spasm episodes. He said that he wants me to get this psoas situation in check so that I can continue with PT and finally loosen it up and strengthen it so we stop having these issues. Because I’ve been continuing to have these episodes, he prescribed Valium as a muscle relaxer to treat my muscle spasms. I have to take a 5 mg pill every 8 hours for at least the next two weeks.
I picked up the prescription last night on my way home from work, and planned on taking one right after dinner. I was dreading it a bit because I don’t like taking pills at all and I had really felt okay all day.
I wanted to just sit in the living room and watch some of the Red Sox game before taking my pill so I went and sat down in my favorite chair and BAM. As soon as I sat down, it started to spasm immediately. I tried to stretch it out and calm it down before it got too bad but it was too late. At this point I was frustrated and disappointed so I just sucked it up and took the Valium. I also put a heating pad on it and tried to gently massage it. I hurt for another hour and a half or so, but it slowly got better as the Valium kicked it. Even though I hate to admit it, it definitely helped. The spasm was completely gone by 8:30 pm…lasting about an hour and half but being progressively better after a half hour of being on the Valium. The Valium made it tolerable, which is really the best I can ask for until we get this situation taken care of.
So, I’ve just taken the Valium again this morning, as ordered by my surgeon, and I’m hoping that it now starts to be preventative. I won’t lie; it makes me a little loopy. Kind of like when you take a dose of Nyquil. It’s not terrible, though…which is good.
I’ll keep you posted on how I make out.
Talk soon,
D

1 comment:

  1. Hi Danielle!

    I'm so sorry for all you had to go through...these past few years have been really difficult for you! But I feel like especially through your PAO recovery, you always keep strong, and look at the bright side of things. And now to have flare ups like this...so frustrating! I can commiserate a little with you on the spasms. I hope the Valium is not just a short term fix! I know you have always had issues with your iliopsoas area, but does your surgeon have any idea why now, 1 1/2 years later it is still so bad? I'm only 6 months out, but gets me a little worried that I'm going to have to deal with these spasms for a looong time yet!
    You asked me about stim...yes, at the end of every therapy session I have 10-15 minutes of stim. Seems to calm my muscles down a bit! Maybe ask your therapist if he thinks you would benefit from it!
    I truly hope that you start to feel better...!!

    Thanks for keeping us posted! And Good luck!

    ReplyDelete