Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Hip Journey Through Photographs

A hip journey in photographs.
Here I am with my brothers Christian and Andrew. This is a good shot of my body cast. It went from my toes to my chest.

Here's me and my brother Jody. I'm young here, as you can tell. Another picture of my body cast. It went from my toes to my chest.

My daddy and I. You can see my body cast in this picture. It went from my toes up to my chest.

X-Ray 12-30-10. Extreme lack of coverage on right side. Center Edge angle is -11.
X-Ray 12-30-10. On X-ray Table, lateral shot.
Findings: Severe right hip dysplasia with uncovering anteriorly and laterally. Loss of joint space superiorly with lateral subluxation of the femoral head.

X-Ray 12-30-10. Standing X-Ray weight bearing.
X-Ray 12-30-10. Frogger position.
Findings: There is severe right hip dysplasia with lateral upsloping of the acetabulum end significant subchondral sclerosis along superolateral margin. There is narrowing of the joint space, early osteophyte formation, and mild later subluxation. Overall Impression: severe right hip dysplasia with early osteoarthritis and lateral subluxation.
3D CT 1-14-12. Top of joint looking down into it.
3D CT 1-14-12. Front of joint looking in.
Overall findings of study: Congenital  severe hip dysplasia. Subchondral sclerosis and cyst formation along superior acetabulum. Mild flattening and irregularity of the right femoral head.

Steriod Injection with contrast for imaging 1-23-12. Notice the needle coming in on the left-hand side. Yikes!

CT with contrast 1-23-12. Labrum images. There were many of these. I'm not a doctor and have no idea what this means! Just thought it was interesting.
Findings: Marked uncovering of superior and anterior femoral head. Posterior labrum normal. Superior labrum is moderately enlarged. Focal detachment of the superior labral base from 11:30 position anteriorly, with maceration of the anterior labrum to approximately 5:00. There is full thickness chondromalacia of the anterior-superior acetabular cartilage with cyst formation. Paralabral ganglion at 12:30 up to 12mm. At least partial tearing in ligamentum teres. 
Arthrographic photo (I think?) directly before surgery 10-26-12. 8:30 AM, right before starting!

X-Ray 10-26-12. 2:50 PM Directly after surgery in the recovery room. 

10-30-12. Enjoying Dunkin' post-RPAO on hospital discharge day. 
10-30-12. Up and ready to go on discharge day!
LOOT of prescriptions when I first came home.
Pillow fort we made so I could try and sleep at night.
X-Ray 11-8-12. Post-op appointment X-Ray.
Findings: 4 screws securing bony fragments. Two screws extend from acetabular roof towards sacroiliac joint and the third long screw appears to extend from anterior iliac crest towards the ischial spine. 
X-Ray 11-8-12. Post-op appointment.

11-20-13. My first real outing, taking my new wheels for a spin!
Thanksgiving 2012, recovering with a glass of wine.
PAO hospital bill

X-Ray 12-6-12 - RPAO-ed hip.
Findings: No hardware failure. Osteotomy defects are healing. 





12-9-12. Oh, the blasted scooter. And yes, we LOVE Target. 
12-12-12. Walking for the first time post-RPAO!
X-Ray 1-17-13.
Findings: Stable fixation screws with no complication. No definite osseous bridging of the right superior pubic rami defect. 






X-Ray 2-28-13.
Findings: Increased bone callus formation to suggest further healing.
3-18-13 Back under the knife! Arthroscopic surgery to fix torn labrum and microfracture to create cartilage.





3-2013. Incisions from Arthroscope.
Hospital bill from Arthroscopic procedure.

Scars from both procedures.

CPM-ing it!
My personal parking spot for recovery. Gotta love the handicap plate.
Relay for Life of Cumberland. Organized this event and had to spend nearly the whole 2 days on my feet coordinating with people and vendors. 5-31-2013

Walking down the aisle as a bridesmaid at my brother's wedding. 6-15-2013

A ~20,000 step day in San Francisco. 8-20-2013

X-Ray 10-31-13. Frogger.
Findings: Stable alignment of previously identified periacetabular osteotomy with intact hardware and no evidence of complication. Improved coverage of the femoral heads bilaterally. No evidence of osseous bridging of the superior pubic rami.

X-Ray 10-31-13. Front of hips.

X-Ray 10-31-13. False profile. 
10-31-13. Dr. Schiller and I at my 1 year appointment! What a difference a year makes!

It's amazing to see the time lapse, for me. I can relive each of these moments as they happened and remember where I was in my journey.

Hope you enjoyed. I'll post later on my 1-Year appointment with Dr. S today.

Thanks,
D

3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I was just looking your X-rays here and noticed that your ramus superior ossis pubis has also been cut, so I just thought that how long did it take to heal and did you have pain in ramus area? I'm asking because I have gone through exactly the same surgery and my ramus hasn't been recovered that quickly and it's been almost 7 months since my surgery.. :) Altough everything else is fine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!,
      You're correct, it was cut and it hasn't healed! I don't really ever have any pain in that area any longer. I had "growing pains" around all cuts for a while after surgery (as to be expected), but I no longer have any kind of bone pain. My surgeon has said that since that bone cut is in an area that is not weight bearing, that it isn't a big deal at all if it never heals fully.

      I hope you're doing great! Recovery can be tough, but the end result was so worth it for me!

      Feel free to keep in touch and let me know how you're doing!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your answer! :)

      Wow, I didn't know it's OK if it never heals fully, but good to know that :) I'm a bit relieved to know that now :)

      Delete