Friday, April 12, 2013

My week in review



I know I won't remember to post this weekend...so I'll post this now:
Just a list of notes/thoughts from this week:
-          I’m feeling far more stubborn and adventurous this week…which makes me think I’m getting my energy back. I’m attempting to do a lot more on my own. I’m sure this all has to do with feeling better from the surgery and being sick on being on the crutches all the time.
-          In unison with the above statement, I’ve finally gotten my appetite back. Sunday morning I had three eggs, three pieces of French toast, three pieces of bacon, toast and half a grilled muffin. YUM. I’m ravenous lately, can’t seem to eat enough.
-          I’m so over using these crutches.
-          Physical Therapy right now is just a series of stretching and joint loosening activities, as well as some light leg strengthening exercises. I do leg lifts lying on my back, my left side, and my stomach without any weight. They are most difficult when lying on my back. I can’t have the leg straight out yet, I can only do the leg lifts with my knee bent with my feet flat and then lift the leg off the table (like I’m marching). I also do an exercise where I sit on the edge of the table with my feet dangling and straighten my knee so my leg is straight. I’m doing that with a 10 pound ankle weight. This week he added an exercise where lay on my back while my legs are bent and feet flat on the table and I squeeze a small exercise ball with my knees.
-          I still have my stitches in all three incisions.
-          I have really good range of motion with the leg when I move it by myself. I can pull it up just past a 90 degree angle before it’s uncomfortable. Not bad for 4 weeks post surgery.
-          I’m SICK of the crutches.
-          I still have a pinching sensation in my hip joint when Tom (my PT) stretches me a certain way. It’s when he pushes my knee towards my chest with my leg bent. I’m going to have him measure the angle when I’m there on Monday. This has been on-going since the PAO surgery. I’ll post more on that later.
-          A couple times this week, I accidently used the leg to push myself up and try to get out of the car. I only did it momentarily, but I still did it. It didn’t hurt at all in the hip joint, but it did feel really weird in my foot and ankle. It’s a lot harder for me to baby the leg this time, because it really doesn’t feel all that bad. I can move the leg pretty freely, so I sometimes forget that I still need to take it easy.
-          I slept GOOD last night. First time in a LONG time. No discomfort in the leg at all.
-          I can’t wait to be off these gosh darn crutches.
-          Today I don’t have really any pain in the hip area at all. Just some surface aggravation where the incisions are. This is the first day I can really say that.
-          I have 4 weeks until my doctor’s appointment with Dr. S. Then it’ll be at least another week of PT before I’m fully off the crutches…so we’re looking at 5 more weeks on crutches. I’m hoping I can just come off them and not have it be a big deal…but I don’t think Dr. S will like that plan.
Doesn't seem like much, but it feels like good progress this week! In case I forgot to say it, I’m really sick of the crutches!
Talk soon,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment